Mt Nantai will not be televised, brother

October 6, 2008 | Filed Under Uncategorized

Mt. Nantai doesn’t care about the rate of default on CMOs, the TED spread, bank runs, carry trades, TARPs, CDOs, PBRs or BRICs. It won’t lift the offer, hit the bid, get stuck on a downtick, or recall your short sales. Nantai has no breakeven rate of inflation to maturity, does not go limit low, and there will be no market made on Nantai 24 hours a day 7 days a week on Globex with a competitive 5 pip spread.

There will be no emergency midnight session to bail out Nantai. You will not wake up tomorrow to find Nantai down 9% at the close. Nantai will not need co-ordinated central bank action, and Nantai will not be filmed in a beauty pagent. It will not debate, field dress a moose or drill, baby, drill. Mt Nantai will not be your lender of last resort, your toxic counterparty, and you cannot see Russia from its summit.

Nantai will not orphan its bonds, it will not be change you can believe in, or be the carbomb at your checkpoint. It will not break the buck, cost $4 a gallon or go into Chapter 11. You will not take home a brand new 42″ television for getting to the top or be invited on Oprah for getting down.

Mt Nantai will not be televised..

(with apologies to Gil Scott-Heron, and indeed anyone who read through this post. It’s been a long week already)

Comments

19 Responses to “Mt Nantai will not be televised, brother”

1. Gen Kanai on October 6th, 2008 8:45 am

“(It’s been a long week already)”

And it’s only Monday…. Nikkei fell like a stone again :(

2. Martin Rye on October 6th, 2008 12:03 pm

There is a sense of tranquillity and calm in the photos. A sense of the higher you climb, the less the cares of the world seem to be a burden. Peace is a truly wonderful and free commodity – best found high in the hills and mountains.

3. Nigel on October 6th, 2008 12:51 pm

Looks nice Chris. What route did you take up there? Was it a higaeri?

4. Kirt Cathey on October 6th, 2008 1:35 pm

Hang in there… a three-day weekend is coming up. I can understand your pains if you are dealing with the market (directly) right now.

5. Tornadoes28 on October 6th, 2008 3:28 pm

But Nantai might blow up someday.

6. C-chan on October 7th, 2008 2:05 am

Wow.
    You really seem to be stressed …

7. cjw on October 7th, 2008 9:46 am

Gen – yup, another crazy start to another crazy month..

Martin – absolutely. Very well put.

Nigel – easy higaeri. I went from Tokyo station on the Shinkansen, changed at Utsunomiya and got the bus from Nikko to Chuzenjiko – 2.5 hours in total. The climb to the top is only a couple of hours – you can either go back via the same route, or take the route down the north west side of the moutain (which will take a little longer).

Kirt – thanks! You heading to the mountains for the long weekend?

Tornadoes28 – :-) very true!

Hey C-chan – I’ve certainly had easier times in my life. But like every mountain, you’ve just got to keep putting one foot in front of the other..

8. Damian on October 7th, 2008 9:56 am

Good God I’m glad I ‘retired’ to mtns and vegetable farming a year ago (not to rub it in). I feel your pain, hang in there, seems you know where relief can be found.

9. julian on October 9th, 2008 9:03 am

If you were stressed on Monday, I wonder how you are now… At least we’re not in Iceland.

10. cjw on October 9th, 2008 10:23 am

Damian – that lifestyle sounds more and more attractive by the day. Who knows what’s ahead though. But in the words of Tyler Durden “Only after disaster can we be resurrected”..

Julian – actually I’m strangely calm. The crash yesterday felt, for want of a better word, cathartic. Like the market’s been tugging gingerly at the band-aid for months and finally decided to rip it off. Poor Iceland…

11. Captain Interesting on October 9th, 2008 8:43 pm

There has never been a better time to go long on Nantai and the other Ninety-Nine Mountains of Japan!

12. Matt on October 10th, 2008 2:21 am

Hi cjw. I was actually up at Nikko Shirane just around the corner the day before you. My pictures are unsurprisingly not as good though. Certainly a welcome break from the markets for me as well. Never thought I’d see the circuit breaker tripped on Nikkei futures! Interesting times…

13. David on October 10th, 2008 9:35 am

Yes, which one wish he could stay on Nantai does it not?

14. Dan R on October 12th, 2008 5:50 pm

Man, the colours are beautiful. There are precious hints of the same in the Avon Gorge, but it’s NOT the same.

Way to show perspective, Chris. Great post.

15. cjw on October 14th, 2008 9:14 am

Captain – absolutely! It’s the portfolio which just keeps delivering, year in, year out.

Hi Matt – Shirane was looking good through the clouds that day. I was taking a friend up Nantai for his first taste of the mountains, otherwise I might well have hoofed it over to Shirane too. Might save that one for the snow, though..

David – many’s the time I’ve been tempted to stay up there…

Hey Dan – yup, you’ve got to hand it to Japan, it does autumn *really* well. Glad you enjoyed the post.

16. Melanie on October 21st, 2008 5:08 am

hehehe… yeh, you kind of lost me on the text, but not to worry, your stunning photos more than made up for it!

17. cjw on October 22nd, 2008 7:09 am

Thanks Melanie! Don’t worry about the text, nothing makes much economic sense right now… :-)

18. Kris on March 15th, 2010 11:16 am

Love your blog – I’m thinking of climbing this in about a week – mid March! From what I’m reading, climbing season begins in April but you seem to be the expert. Since climbing Fuji I’m hooked on hiking mountains, Tsukuba was a little disappointing though. What are your thoughts on climbing Nantai just before the season starts?

19. CJW on March 15th, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi Kris – not sure of the exact conditions up there right now, but this time of year there could well be some snow and ice on top. You might want to throw some light crampons in your pack, and be careful on the steeper sections. Official access is via the shrine the bottom, but as the mountain is officially “closed” at the moment, I’m not sure if they’ll let you start from there. As an alternative, there’s a forest road which winds up the mountain and meets the trail a bit higher up. Hope that helps..